The City of New Orleans, Department of Sanitation will host a Household Hazardous Waste Materials Collection Day on Saturday, May 14th, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave). The event is open to Orleans Parish residents only (businesses and organizations excluded). Proof of Orleans Parish residency will be required in the form of a valid driver’s license or a motor vehicle inspection sticker.
Household hazardous items that will be accepted only on Saturday include: garden chemicals, pesticides, household cleaners, drain cleaners, bleach, paint (latex and oil based), paint thinner, varnish, grout, flammable liquids, muriatic acid, small mercury devices, aerosols, pool shock, antifreeze, motor oil and gasoline. Household hazardous items should never be placed in garbage or curbside recycling containers.
The following items will not be accepted: tanks, fire extinguishers, explosives, radioactive materials, medicines, medical waste, radioactive materials, asbestos or hazardous waste from businesses or organizations.
Items accepted at the weekly Saturday Recycling Drop-Off Event include:
- Paper: newspapers, magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, phone books
- Plastics: #1 (soda/water bottles) and #2 (milk/juice/shampoo/detergent containers),
- Small metals: (aluminum and steel)
- Cardboard, boxboard (cereal/soft drink boxes)
- E-waste: iPads, tablets, computers, laptops, telephones/telephone systems, cell phones, bag phones, televisions (limit four), keyboards, speakers, telephone/computer cables, X-boxes, PlayStations, Wii, MP3/DVD/CD players, UPS, circuit boards, portable navigation/GPS devices, inkjet/toner cartridges, digital cameras/video recorders (DVRs), gaming consoles, DVD movies and video games, fax machines, small printers, monitors, processors, networking equipment, stereos, security systems)
- Household batteries: (AA, AAA, AAAA, C, D, 6v, 9v, Lithium)
- Lightbulbs: (fluorescent and incandescent)
- Mardi Gras beads
- Tires (limit five)
- Glass (limit 50 lbs.)
The City reserves the right to limit the type and quantities of items accepted.
Residents can visit the Recycling Drop-Off Center (2829 Elysian Fields Ave) from Tuesday, May 24th – Saturday, May 28th from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. to reclaim usable water-based and oil-based paint.
Visit link below for remaining 2022 Drop-Off schedule:
For more information:
Contact: Department of Sanitation