Louisiana has been fortunate to have dedicated election poll workers who have served for years. However, this year many poll workers are unable to serve due to Covid-19 concerns. Election officials can teach you everything you need to know to do the job.
You just need to meet a few requirements to be selected. You must:
- be a registered voter in Louisiana
- be able to perform the essential duties of a commissioner
- attend a course of instruction
- not be a candidate in the election
- be at least 17 years of age and a high school senior, or if you are registered to vote in another state and are a student at an institution of higher learning.
- Set up the polling place before voters arrive.
- Check voters in at the polling place and allow them to cast their votes.
- Close the polling place.
To become a qualified poll commissioner:
Contact your parish clerk of court to enroll in a commissioner training school
Secretary of State
Election Poll Worker Application
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125